Thursday 11 February 2016

Q4. How did you use media technologies in the construction, research, planning and evaluation stages?




How I created a vignette mask on Final Cut Pro X



1. First of all, you open up your project on Final Cut Pro X, the project we are currently working on is or music video to Sandi Thom Punk Rocker.

2. You then scroll across two the effects browser which is in the bottom hand right corner, this features lots of effects to use on your music video, such as Lumar Key, Aged Paper etc. However, the one that I am looking for is the Vignette tool.


3. To find the vignette mask tool, I searched for "Vignette" in the search engine right in the bottom right of the page- I then looked for this icon, when I hover my mouse over the icon, it comes up with a preview of what the footage will look like on the screen.


4. I then added the vignette mask onto my time line over the clip that I wanted it to be on, as you can see at first, the vignette mask is only slight and doesn't have an image over layed onto it, this is the next step we need to work on.

5. Then, you go to the right of frame at the top of Final Cut Pro X, this features a list of editing tools which you can use to edit your vignette mask. 


6. This was it when I first added it to my timeline. In order to adjust this, I upped the blur amount, and increased the size of the vignette mask, I left the darken and the "fall off" tool the same.  Resulting in this screen on my Final Cut Timeline. The black is where I am going to overlay my image.

7. I then added in an earlier shot I did of flowers in my garden, I wanted to this to be the vignette as it added a floral and feminine touch to the shot- it is also an unconventional aspect of music videos.


8. I then made this shot into a freeze frame as when I replayed the clip there was a slight movement from the camera, by adding a freeze frame I was able to make a still of the shot, I also cropped the image slightly to get rid of the green in the bottom right hand corner, this would mean that the full vignette mask would be made solely of flowers.


9. I then went on to put the flower image underneath the tracking shot on my timeline, the two clips were also connected once I had done this. This means that the two clips are locked together, and I can't move one clip without moving the other.

10. This was the finished result when I added the vignette mask to the clip, I also further blurred the vignette mask in order to create a gradual effect from the outline to the interior of the shot without it being to sharp. I feel that if I had left the clip sharp, it would have lost the femininity within the shots




In order to develop our creativity, myself and my partner decided to create a short bloopers/ production video of all of the humorous clips within our production and of any shots that included us filming. I also thought that this would give you an insight into the journey we went through and how we selected and rejected certain shots. I have to admit, some are slightly cringey!


No comments:

Post a Comment